Friday 26 September 2008

A passing fad

Why have a called my blog 'The Passing Fad'? Well I've already mentioned that I'm not good at sticking with things but it's also a reference to my current Web 2.0 project. There are critics who believe that things like Facebook, blogging and other Web 2.0 functions are hyped up and have no real longevity. I think they may be right that certain services will not survive for a variety of reasons - in some cases it's beause they cease to be the latest trend but it could also be beause of competition or technological or financial change. However I do think that Web 2.0 represents a paradigm shift in the way we think about the web and those changes will be far-reaching even if the names we associate with Web 2.0 now cease to exist. My task is to identify those Web 2.0 elements that we could use in the Information Services department to improve our services - it's a pretty broad brief and I'm going to use this blog to work out some of my thoughts on this (even if no-one else is reading it!).

No comments: